The Laboratory Services mainly consist of two units named Water Quality Monitoring and Air Resource Management & Monitoring, which function under the Environmental Protection Division of the Central Environmental Authority.
The main function of the Laboratory Services is to provide the testing services for the prescribed activities which is needed in obtaining Environmental Protection License(EPL) in accordance with the part 4B of the National Environmental Act No 47 of 1980 and its relevant amendments. Accordingly, Water Quality Monitoring Laboratory will provide its services by issuing analytical reports for obtaining of EPL, its renewals, for investigation of public complaints, legal issues and for the monitoring purposes for the industries. Air Resource Management and Monitoring Unit will provide its services for measurement of industrial noise and monitoring air quality throughout the country.
Water Quality Monitoring Unit
The water quality testing laboratory offer a complete range of water quality monitoring series in Sri Lanka. The analyses are carried out by competent, trained, qualified and experienced staff. Eight provincial laboratories and one district laboratory at Gampaha has been established for the catering of testing of water and wastewater.
The unit is well established and accredited with ISO 17025 and capable of producing reliable and cost-effective services to the customer. The analyses are carried out by competent, trained, qualified and experienced staff. All equipment in the laboratory are calibrated by reputed and accredited calibration laboratories to ensure the required accuracy and traceability to international standards.
Chemical Testing Laboratory
Integrated Waste Management System
Services provided by the Central Laboratory
• Control of water pollution through monitoring of water and industrial waste waters (Colombo and Kalutara Districts).
• Compliance monitoring of industrial wastewater for regulatory purposes(Colombo and Kalutara Districts).
• Investigation of public complaints on discharges of industrial effluent.
• Providing technical assistance to establish the regulation and standards on water and wastewater within the CEA and for the other organizations.
• Conservation and regular monitoring of water quality of the inland water bodies in the country.
• Providing laboratory services to restore and remediate the polluted water bodies.
• Providing laboratory services to development project to collect base line data on ambient water on commercial basis (EIA and IEE)
• Conducting environmental educational and awareness programs
• Providing training to the university under-graduates.
• Entertain third party requirements on request basis(Commercial Samples)
• Assisting for Internal and External capacity building program
• Partnering with Ministry of Environment &Wildlife Resources and other environmental related institutes
• Compliance monitoring of registered laboratoriesin coordination with EPC Division
• Conducting Proficiency Testing program for registered laboratories
• Surface Water quality Monitoring of Kelani River, Maha Oya, Bolgoda Lake & Diyawanna Oya