Only “prescribed projects” are subjected to IEE / EIA. The list of prescribed projects requiring an IEE / EIA under the provisions of the National Environmental Act as contained in the Gazette No. Gazette Extra Ordinary No. 772/22 dated 24.06.1993, 859/14 of 23.02.1995 and Gazette Extra Ordinary No. 1104/22 dated 05.11.1999 are given below;
PROJECTS AND UNDERTAKINGS IF LOCATED WHOLLY OR PARTLY OUTSIDE THE COASTAL ZONE AS DEFINED BY COAST CONSERVATION ACT NO. 57 OF 1981
1. All river basin development and irrigation projects excluding minor irrigation works (as defined by Irrigation Ordinance chapter 453)
2. Reclamation of land, wetland area exceeding 4 hectares
3. Extraction of timber covering land area exceeding 5 hectares
4. Conversion of forest covering an area exceeding 1 hectare into non-forest uses
5. Clearing of land areas exceeding 50 hectares
6. Mining and Mineral Extraction
7. Transportation systems
8. Port and harbour development
9. Power generation and transmission
10. Transmission lines
Installation of overhead transmission lines of length exceeding 10 kilometers and voltage above 50 kilovolts
11. Housing and building
Integrated multi-development activities consisting of housing, industry, commercial infrastructure covering a land area exceeding 10 hectares.
Involuntary resettlement exceeding 100 families other than resettlement effected under emergency situations.
13. Water supply
All ground water extraction projects of capacity exceeding ½ million cubic meters per day.
Construction of water treatment plants of capacity exceeding ½ million cubic meters.
Laying of gas and liquid (excluding water) transfer pipelines of length exceeding 1 kilometer
Construction of hotels or holiday resorts or projects which provide recreational facilities exceeding 99 rooms or 40 hectares, as the case may be
17. All tunneling projects
18. Disposal of waste
19. Development of all Industrial Estates and Parks exceeding an area of 10 hectares
20. Iron and Steel Industries
21. Non-Ferrous Basic Metal Industries
Smelting of aluminum or copper or lead of production capacity exceeding 25 tons per day
22. Basic Industrial Chemicals
23. Pesticides and Fertilizers
24. Petroleum and Petrochemical
25. Tyre and Tube Industries
Manufacture of tyre and tubes of combined production capacity exceeding 100 tons per day form natural or synthetic rubber.
26. Sugar factories
Manufacture of refined sugar of combined production capacity exceeding 50 tons per day.
27. Cement and Lime
28. Paper and Pulp
Manufacture of paper or pulp of combined production capacity exceeding 50 tons per day.
29. Spinning, Weaving and Finishing of Textiles
Integrated cotton or synthetic textile mills employing spinning, weaving, dyeing and printing operations together of combined production capacity exceeding 50 tons per day.
30. Tanneries and Leather Finishing
Provided however, where the projects and undertaking set out in items 20 to 30 are located within Industrial Estates and parks as described at (19) above, the approval shall not be necessary under the provisions of Part IV C of the Act.
31. Industries which involved the manufacture, storage or use of Radio Active Materials as defined in the Atomic Energy Authority Act No. 19 of 1969 or Explosives as defined in the Explosives Act No. 21 of 1956, excluding for national security reasons.
32. All projects and undertaking listed in Part I irrespective of their magnitudes and irrespective of whether they are located in the coastal zone or not, if located wholly or party within the areas specified in Part III of the Schedule.
32. (a) Construction of all commercial buildings as defined by the Urban Development Authority Law, No. 41 of 1978 and the construction of dwelling housing units, irrespectively of their magnitudes and irrespective of whether they are located in the coastal zone or not, if located wholly or partially within the areas specified in Part III of this schedule.
33. Iron and Steel
34. Non-Ferrous Basic Metal
35. Basic Industrial Chemicals
36. Pesticides and Fertilizers
37. Synthetic Resins, Plastic materials and Man-made Fibres
38. Other Chemical Products
39. Petroleum and Petro-chemical Products
40. Tyres and Tubes
41. Manufacturing and Refining of Sugar
42. Alcoholic Spirits
43. Malt Liquors and Malt
44. Cement, clinker and Lime
45. Non-metallic Mineral Products
46. Paper, Pulp and Paperboard
47. Spinning, Weaving and Finishing of Textile
48. Tanneries and Leather Finishing
49. Shipbuilding and Repairs
50. Railroad Equipment
51. Motor Vehicles
52. Air Craft
1. Within 100 m from the boundaries of or within any area declared under
the National Heritage Wilderness Act No. 3 of 1988;
the Forest Ordinance (Chapter 451);
whether or not such areas are wholly or partly within the Coastal Zone as defined in the Coast Conservation Act No. 57 of 1981.
2. Within the following areas whether or not the areas are wholly or partly within the Coastal Zone:
any erodible area declared under the Soil Conservation Act (Chapter 540)
any Flood Area declared under the Flood Protection Ordinance (Chapter 449) and any flood protection area declared under the Sri Lanka Land Reclamation and Development Corporation Act 15 of 1968 as amended by Act No. 52 of 1982.
60 meters from the bank of a public stream as defined in the Crown Lands Ordinance (Chapter 454) and having a width of more than 25 meters at any point if its course.
any reservation beyond the full supply level of a reservoir
any archaeological reserve, ancient or protected monument as defined or declared under the Antiquities Ordinance (Chapter 188).
any area declared under the botanic Gardens Ordinance (Chapter 446)
within 100 meters from the boundaries of or within any area declared as a Sanctuary under the Fauna and Flora Protection Ordinance (Chapter 469)
within 100 meters from the high flood level contour of or within a public lake as defined in the Crown Lands Ordinance (Chapter 454) including those declared under section 71 of the said Ordinance.